Call Us for a Free Evaluation (888) 573-7838


Google Reviews


Substitution Benefits for Veterans

Rep for Vets > Getting Started with the VA Claims Process > Substitution Benefits for Veterans

Do you need help or advice? Contact us now.

If a veteran files an application for disability benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs, but dies before a decision is issued, an eligible survivor may continue the claim as a substitute party. If the claim is ultimately successful, the substitute party would be entitled to collect any benefits that were owed the veteran at the time of his or her death. Since these benefits, known as accrued benefits, can include many years of retroactive payments, the amounts collected by an eligible survivor may be substantial.

Helping Veterans and Survivors Nationwide

At The Rep For Vets, our VA-accredited claims agents help spouses and dependent children with substitution of party claims, allowing them to receive the disability benefits the VA would have paid to the veteran. If you are the spouse, child or dependent parent of a deceased veteran who died while an application for VA disability benefits was pending, it is important to remember that you may be entitled to receive accrued benefits as an eligible survivor.

Learn More

Since there are special rules to substitution, it is important that you contact a lawyer or a claims agent familiar with the process of obtaining accrued benefits as a substitute party. Our VA-accredited claims agents understand how difficult it is to navigate the adjudication process on your own, and are here to help. Call toll free from anywhere in the United States at 888-573-7838 or simply complete the online contact form


Free Evaluation

no obligation


what our clients are saying

Do you need help or advice? Contact us now.

Want Mission-Critical Updates Delivered to Your Inbox?

Get notified when we post important tips affecting disabled veterans. (You won’t hear a peep from us otherwise.)